Linksys Extender Setup
Linksys Extender detects the Wifi signal from your router and extends it throughout your home. With the help of the extender, you can increase the speed of your internet by connecting your devices directly to the extender. Also, it comes with Spot Finder Technology that checks the location of your extender for better performance. For the Linksys Extender setup, you need to follow the given guide.
Following are the instructions to set up your range extender manually:
- Place your Linksys extender near to the router and computer.
- Now, connect your range extender to the power outlet. Then, check the LED lights of your extender. Make sure that the lights are blinking.
- For the Linksys Extender setup, you need to connect your extender to the computer or mobile device. You can choose from one of the given methods for connection:
- Wired Setup: To connect wirelessly, you need to take an appropriate ethernet cable. Then, plug the one end of the cable to the range extender and the other end to the computer. Assure that the ethernet cable is properly connected to their respective ports. Also, your system must not be connected to any Wifi.
- Wireless Setup: If you intend to connect your extender wirelessly to your device, connect your device to the default range extender name. For that, click on the Wifi icon on your device. It will show you a list of available Wifi in range. You need to find “Linksys Extender Setup- xxx” in the list where xxx is the last three characters of your Linksys extender MAC address. But if you are unable to find the default name of your extender, place the extender close to your device. If the issue does not resolve, reset your extender. For that, press the reset button located on the back of your extender for at least 5 seconds or till the LED light blinks.
- After that, launch a web browser on your system. In the address bar, type extender.linksys.com and hit the Enter key from your keyboard. You can also type the default IP address i.e 192.168.1.1 of your extender.
- Now, the Welcome window will display on your screen. Click on the Licence Agreement link and review all the terms and conditions thoroughly. Once you have read the whole agreement, go back to the setup window. It is necessary to accept the agreement in order to continue with the process of Linksys Extender Setup. So, if you agree with the terms, select the checkbox “I accept the End User License Agreement”.
- In addition, select the checkbox “Automatic Software Updates”. By doing so, all the latest updates of the software will automatically install in the future.
- Then, click on the Start Setup tab given there.
- In the next window, you need to select between “As a wireless range extender” or “As a wired range extender”. Then, click on the Next button which is given at the bottom-right corner of the window.
- Now, it will begin searching for wireless networks in range. Then, a list of networks will appear on your screen. Choose your wireless network from the given list of options. But if you are unable to find your network, click on “I don’t see my network” and follow the on-screen instructions to locate your network.
- But if you have a hidden Wifi, click on “Manually enter network name and password” and then follow the given instructions carefully:
- In the first field, enter your Network name.
- Then, enter your password into the next field
- After that, click on the Next button.
- In the next window, you will be prompted to configure the extended wireless network. Here you can change your extender settings according to your preference. Then, click “Next”.
- Now, the Spot Finder Technology will check the location of your extender. If your extender is Too Close or Too Far, move it to a better location. But you do not want to change your extender location now, click Connect Anyway and you can adjust it after the setup is completed.
- After that, Secure Your Range Extender window will appear on your screen. Here, you need to create an administrative password to secure your network from unauthorized access. Fill the below-given fields:
- In the create an admin password field, set a password that should be unique and strong.
- Then, retype your admin password into the next field for confirmation.
- In the next field, add a password hint that will help you to remind your password.
- Then, click Next.
- Your extender is set up window will be shown on your screen. This indicates that your Linksys Extender Setup is successfully completed.
You can also use the WPS method for the Linksys Extender setup. For that, follow the below-given procedures carefully:
Using WPS Button:
- First of all, connect your range extender to the electrical outlet.
- After that, press and hold the WPS button on your extender. The LED lights of your extender should blink.
- Then, press the WPS button on your router within 2 minutes.
- When the connection is established, the WPS light on your extender will change the color to solid green. This means that the Linksys Extender setup is finished by using the WPS method.
Using the WPS PIN or Router’s PIN.
- Access a web browser on your system.
- In the address bar, type 192.168.1.1 and hit the Enter key from your keyboard.
- It will take you to the Linksys Extender Setup page. From the upper-panel of the window, select the Wireless option.
- Then, select the “Wi-Fi Protected Setup” radio button.
- If your device includes the WPS PIN, enter the PIN into the second field. Otherwise, you can enter the router’s PIN in the third field. You will find the router’s PIN on the label located at the back of your Linksys router.
- After that, click on the Register button.
- Once your extender is connected to the router, the WPS light on your router will become solid. This concludes the Linksys Extender Setup.